Welcome to our class blog. First grade is a magical year. Check back often to see what we're up to.

Fluency Poems on Animoto

December Poem-Animoto

Fluency Work
Each week my first graders practice a new fluency poem during our morning meeting time. The poem is introduced after we read our morning message together. The title of our newest poem is, December. We use poetry to practice our fluency. Poetry is a fun way to practice reading with expression, to learn about punctuation and phrasing, to notice and identify word families, and to work on our word accuracy strategies. At the end of the week, we illustrate our poems, and then we place them into our poetry notebooks.

Walking Museum
After our poems are illustrated and placed in our poetry notebooks, we share them with our classmates. A fun way to share our work is to have a Walking Museum. During the Walking Museum, we walk around our table groups and notice the great work of our classmates.

Daily 5
During our Daily 5 time, we also make good use of our poetry notebooks. We use them during Read to Self, or independent reading. We also use our poetry notebooks during Read to Someone, when we read with a buddy.

As you can see, we love using poems to work on fluency. We hope you enjoy our illustrations too. Just click on the Fluency Poems-Video link at the top. You’ll see our illustrations via Animoto.

How is fluency practiced in your classroom?

Posted by on December 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Comments & Trackbacks (5)

5 Responses to “Fluency Poems on Animoto”

1.   Ross Mannell Says:

Hello Mrs. Ruckes’ Fantastic First Graders,

Fluency poems are a great way to practise expression in reading. Expression is a very important skill to learn in reading aloud. Great expression makes the story more interesting for the reader.

One school in the UK tried to organise a reading of Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”. Children and teachers took turns reading a segment of the story into an audio recorder. Other schools were asked to contribute. When it was time to enter Scrooge’s encounter with the Ghost of Christmas Past, they invited teachers from around the world. If you have the chance to listen to some of the readings, you can hear the differences in expression and accent as people read. Yes, I read two sections as well so there is at least one Australian.

Time before Christmas ran out so the story stops after the first ghosts appears but it is still interesting to listen to all the people.

If you are allowed to listen, here is the link to the site…

http://boohumbug.wordpress.com/

I hope you all have a wonderful 2012 and share even more great experiences on your blog. :)

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

2.   vruckes Says:

Dear Mr. Mannell,
    Thank you for commenting on our blog. I love the story, A Christmas Carol. It’s one of my all time favorites. I’m looking forward to sharing your comments with my students when they return from the holiday break. I will add their responses to your comments at that time. Also, thank you for giving us the link to the site for the reading of A Christmas Carol. We look forward to listening for your voice and connecting with you in 2012.
    Thanks again,
    Val Ruckes and my Fantastic First Graders

3.   Ms L and Division 16 Says:

Dear Mrs. Ruckes’ class,

You must be really proud of your illustrations, they look fantastic. Your movie was really nice. We learn poems too but we don’t illustrate them very often. You are lucky! You must be very fluent readers because you work so hard on your poems. Keep up the good work.

Ms. Lirenman and Division 16

4.   vruckes Says:

Ms. L.,
    Thanks for visiting our blog site and looking at our fluency poems. We love illustrating our poems and our reading is getting better and better. We practice the peom all week before it’s illustrated and placed in our notebooks. During Daily 5 we use our poetry notebooks when we read with a buddy. That gives use more time to practice our fluency. Do your students have poetry notebooks?
    Thanks for commenting on our blog,
    Mrs. Ruckes and her Fantastic First Graders